Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blown Expectations

Life would be so much easier if we could live lightly with little expectations. If we could live easy, flexible lives, we would never get frustrated, disappointed, or upset. I know that is a major oversimplification but it seems that expectations do way more harm than good. We expect things from our spouse, our children, our friends, our church, our meals, our vacations, etc. Then everytime our expectations are not met, we get disappointed and our attitude suffers. Life would be so much better if we just accepted life and relationships as they came. I am not saying things would still not be hard work and require intentional living. I am just referring to living with as few expectations of situations and others as possible.

I noticed two things about this yesterday. As the Suiter family explored southern West Virginia, my expectations were blown out of the water and I was not happy. After I got frustrated, it negatively affected everyone in my family for the next 6 hours. It was not good because I allowed my expectations to dictate my attitude, perspective, and outlook. It would have been so much better for me and my family if I had been more flexible. The second thing I noticed is that with innocence and trust comes few expectations. My kids are so good in this area. They trust their momma and daddy so much that they are just along for the ride. They want to have fun and experience fun things but if we ride in the van all day and that's what momma and daddy say we are gonna do then that's OK with them. They have little or no expectations and it shows in their happiness and joy in the little things. We adults need more innocence and trust.

After this experience, I wonder how we approach God in the realm of expectations. I wonder how often we get frustrated or disappointed with God because He doesn't do or respond to our prayers the way we expect Him to.

Wouldn't life and our walk with God be so much sweeter and filled with less stress and more joy if we would let go of so many of our selfish expectations and just allow God to take us wherever He wants us to go. Wouldn't our relationships and life events be so much better if we would lower our expectations of others and situations.

Just a thought, but after all this, lower expectations seems more Christian and less worldly. I'm gonna try to live my life with less expectations and more trust in God and more flexibility with others and situations. Maybe then this pain in my neck will go away! :)