Friday, July 10, 2009

Found It!

After 3 plus years of searching, I have finally found it!

I have spent countless hours seeking the answer to, "What is it that re-charges my batteries?" Everybody has things in their lives that drain them and things that energize them. Now after 3 years of church planting, I have become acutely aware of the things that drain me while never finding that one thing that fills me back up. Over the past 3 years, there have been many times when I was so drained and dry that I just wanted to run away. I was like a sink with the drain wide open and no idea how or when to turn the faucet on. That is why I bought the motorcycle. It was a desperate attempt to find the faucet. After a VERY draining year with the birth of Mary and all the stress of the DR mission trip, the new building , and our Crossroads growth and everything with all that as well as trying to keep up with all the regular ministry stuff and relationships, I had about all the out go that I could take with nothing flowing in. I was SO tired and just wanted to re-energize and re-gain my passion for ministry. Becky and I talked about what was going on in my life and that is when we decided to try and see if a motorcycle would be the answer. I promised her if a motorcycle wasn't my faucet and I discovered what was, that I would sell the motorcycle. Well, needless to say, the motorcycle is for sale. I don't regret buying it at all even if I have lost some cash. I guess it really isn't lost at all when you take into account the fact that it helped me find what I was really looking for in the first place.

So, are you ready for it? My search is over and I can't even tell you how excited and relieved I am. To try so hard to find something, especially when the answer is within you and not find it has been VERY frustrating over these past 3 years. I am so pumped! OK, OK, here it is . My faucet is exploration! That's it! It's so cool and the best part is that it doesn't matter what it is as long as its exploration. I want to do new things and go new places. It can be 40 miles on the Appalachian trail or simply a new road or new grocery store. You may think I am crazy (I probably am and most of you probably think so anyway), but this realization is huge for me. When you don't have major drains and stress in your life, the re-charge isn't that big of a deal and that is why I never looked for the recharge or even knew that I needed one until the last 3 years. So its really hard to find the words to describe how excited I am. Becky is excited too for lots of reasons; one being we can find ways to meet my re-charge needs as a couple and as a family. So yeah, major epiphany in my life and ministry and I am looking forward to the future as God leads toward more growth and stress.

O and by the way, anybody want a great motorcycle!!??