Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hidden Treasure

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field." Matthew 13:44


This passage of scripture is foundational to an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ! What has captured our hearts? Is it pleasure, stuff, comfort, relationships, or is it Jesus Christ and His Kingdom?

What are we willing to "sell" in order to gain Jesus and His Kingdom? I am sad that these are hard questions to answer. I wish they were easy. I wish we would all run and willingly "sell" everything in order to gain Jesus. And don't miss the word "joy" in the verse either. We cannot be double-minded! We must run in joy toward Jesus and His Kingdom and away from the things of this world!


As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family."
Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."
Luke 9:57-62