Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Intentional Life Focus

The keys to an intimate and mature walk with God center directly around focus. I know that one could write a long book with many chapters about maturity in Christ and I know that it has been done many times. I know that maturity in Christ comes with lots of pursuit of God ans lots of time and covers many, many different areas of life, but without openness and humility, no other aspects of godly maturity can even take place.

So boiling our maturity down to these two things is a great place to check our heart and our intentional life focus. I know most of us say that we love God and pursue Him, but what changes are taking place in our hearts? This change of heart is maturity in process and only takes place with openness and humility.

As I have been praying about this area in my life and in the lives of those that God has called me to minister to, I believe that God has given me a very specific Word of wisdom regarding maturity in this area. Here it is: "Take your focus off of the things of which you think you know and put your focus on the things that you do not know!" Meditate on that for awhile! Profound? I know, and I can't take any credit. It totally came from God.

If we would put this statement into practice in our lives, it would transform our focus, perspective, and direction. It would then cause us to move away from selfish, opinionated thinking and living to God directed and others focused thinking and living. And isn't that what a Christ follower is to be and really wants in the first place? If we really lived our lives in the direction of this God-given statement, then we would embody openness and humility and our life focus would truly be intentionally on God and others!

That would rock! Talk about Kingdom unity and effectiveness - we would certainly have both!