Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm Back!

Wow, it has been two weeks since I last blogged. I took about 8 days off and when I finally got home, it took all my time and energy to just get adjusted and get ready for Sunday. So I really have not even been around a computer almost at all for two weeks. It was kinda refreshing to be quite honest. While I was gone to TN for Thanksgiving, I actually tried to ignore my phone as much as possible. It was great to get the break. It was the first Sunday in 14 months that I have been away from Crossroads. It missed Crossroads like crazy but it was also good to get a break and hang out with family.

Since I have been out for two weeks, I thought I would post some random thoughts and happenings form that time period. Here goes:

* I love spending Thanksgiving with my extended family. It is always a good time and worth the drive.

* Long drives and sleeping in 5 different places in 7 days is rough on little kids.

* Worshipped at Grace Chapel in Franklin, TN on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It was AWESOME! It was such an encouragement to me as a church planter to see how far this church has come and to see how they do things. There were lots of similarities between Grace Chapel and Crossroads and it was encouraging.

* My birthday (35!!!!) was great! The Crossroads surprise party was actually a surprise. It was only the second time in my life that I have been surprised on my birthday. It was a fun time. Thanks to everyone who was involved and who gave to me. You didn't have to do it but the love is so appreciated and reciprocated!

* It was so rockin awesome to be back at Crossroads yesterday! We had a great day! It was great worship and fellowship and then we had a very useful staff meeting in the afternoon. I am so thankful for those who serve with me to see Crossroads become all that God wants it to be.

* Always pray for your pastor on Sunday evening and Monday morning. I can't explain it and it is the weirdest thing, but spiritual oppression hits with a vengeance when I get home on Sundays. Take yesterday for example. It was literally an awesome day, but when I got home , I had to fight off thoughts of quitting. Like I said, I can't explain it other than to say, "spiritual warfare!" Pray for your pastor all the time but especially during these two times.

* I love to watch it snow!

* Becky is the most amazing mother and wife in the world. Not bragging or being flowery, just being truthful.

* Crossroads Church rocks!

* God is doing some really cool things in our new building project and in our Dominican Republic Feeding Center Project. It is going to be fun to watch Him bring everything to fruition in His time.

* "You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." James 4:4 I am really struggling with what this looks like practically in life. Rich Mullins says it means sell everything and give as much as humanly possible away. He would go on to say that we really don't need all the stuff that we think we need (gourmet coffee, newer cars, bigger houses, clothes that are in style, expensive dinners out, etc.) It is hard to disagree with him when you read the Bible. But others say that God wants us to be blessed and it all boils down to what is in our hearts and that if we are giving lots away, then God will continually "bless" us. These "teachers" point to people like Abraham, David, and Solomon. It is just so hard to know. I mean, I know it boils down to what is in the heart, but even that is a struggle. I don't want anything of this world to pull my heart away from God, but the pulls are always there. I guess it is a good struggle to have as I wrestle with all that God wants from and for my life.

* I have only run three time in the past two weeks. I am going to get back on track (no pun intended) tonight!

* Sorry it is so long, but two weeks off is a long time. I actually have a lot more but will just stop now and go from here next time.