Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Modern Day Forth Telling

"But as soon as Jeremiah finished telling all the people everything the LORD had commanded him to say, the priests, the prophets and all the people seized him and said, "You must die!" Jeremiah 26:8

Words cannot begin to describe the joy that I have from being a pastor. It is truly amazing to be called of God to do what I do. I feel the joy of God all over me when I am delivering God's Word to God's people. I truly cannot imagine doing anything else! The blessing is multiplied by being the pastor of Crossroads Church in Morgantown, WV. I am surrounded by individuals who love God and want to hear His truth no matter how much it hurts. I am surrounded by individuals who support me and are even excited about being radically obedient to God no matter what (this statement is obvious or Crossroads Church would have never started!).

I have preached some hard sermons in the past two-and-a-half years but no one has ever wanted to kill me for it. Initially, I have probably made some people mad and many may have thought me crazy for a time (some of you still do :)), but for the most part, I have been rewarded for teaching strong truth and I am thankful for it. It makes my job fun and an overall joy. I guess this means that the people of Crossroads are heeding Hebrews 13:17 (Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.). That is cool stuff and I hope it always stays that way cause I can't imagine someone wanting to kill me for speaking truth!

I read this passage in Jeremiah this morning and I was very thankful for what God has called me too. I am also very thankful for when and to whom He has called me to preach. If I ever am in a situation like Jeremiah found himself, I hope and pray that I exhibit the courage that he displayed. He was courageous in speaking truth, even if it meant his death. I want to have that kind of love for God and His truth and walk in that kind of faith and obedience to Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord.

In the meantime, I'll just keep "bringin it", and you Crossroaders just keep "lovin it". I love you all! You guys rock and you make my life and ministry among you a great joy!