Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Easy Life

I want life to be easy! I guess I just want the impossible. Life is not easy and it will never be. If life is easy for you, then you are probably doing something wrong. Notice that I didn't say anything about life being good or filled with joy. My life is better than good. It is even better than great and it is immensely filled with great joy, but it is not nor will it ever be easy.

And when I do find myself in seasons of life that are easy, then I miss the fact that my circumstances are driving me to my knees in prayer. So I guess if I am truthful with who I am at my core, I really don't want an easy life. It just feels like it would be nice at times.

Yesterday while I was running 5 miles, it occurred to me around mile 3 that running 5 miles is not easy. I felt good while I ran and I enjoyed it and at the same time I wanted to stop because it took effort. It was not easy. I didn't strain that hard as far as distance or speed are concerned and it still was not easy. I think this is how life is as it comes at us. Most of the time, our situations do no tax us beyond what we can handle, but most of the time we also find that things are not a cake walk either. Life takes effort especially when you are striving to live for Jesus and allow Him control of your life. Life takes effort when you live to please him and strive to serve Him with your life. That is why I said that I guess I really don't want a easy life because an easy life, I think, is the result of living for self and striving for the things that make life easy. We, as Christians, are to strive for the things in life that make us feel peace and joy, not necessarily ease. It is not just semantics either. My life is not easy but it is filled with great peace and joy. May you discover peace and joy as well today and in your life as you seek a life lived for Jesus Christ and not yourself!