Monday, October 19, 2009

Accepting That Which I Do Not KNow

The other day, I was taking pictures with the camera on my phone and then emailing them to myself at home so I could use those pictures on my blog. While I was doing this, it occurred to my how crazy amazing technology is. I mean, here I am miles from home, taking pictures of the nature around me and then driving home and when I get back to my computer the pictures that I just took are already there for me to use. Now maybe your brain doesn't work this way but mine really freaks out when I think about it. How in the world does this amazing technology work? Then the next thought on my mind was how many times in a day that I willingly and joyfully use something (phone, computer, Internet, microwave, hot water heaters, car, plumbing, heat, satellite TV, electricity, etc.) that I have no idea how it works. I do so without questioning how or why it works . I just know it works and I use it. All of the inventions that I use to make my life better and easier, I just use without questioning. I don't get mad at them or stop using them because I don't know or can't understand how they work.

As I pondered all this, I wondered why I treat God so differently. Why do I question the way He works? Why do I think I have to figure Him out? Why can't I just run to Him and trust Him in everything? Why can't I embrace the truth that I already know? Why can't I just exist in the peace and joy that He brings when I trust? Why do I have to get obstinate at times and demand to know how and why He is who He is? Why does His actions or lack of actions bother me? Isn't God so much more important and trustworthy than my Blackberry?

"Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. " Isaiah 64:8