Monday, October 5, 2009

The Pain of Discipline

Discipline is so hard! It doesn't matter if its self-discipline or discipline imposed as a parent. Both are incredibly difficult though for totally different reasons. But with either one, living by accident is so much easier and doesn't take much thought or intentionality at all. The only problem with living a life with no discipline in it is that the outcome really sucks. The Bible and experience prove the that to be true - that discipline is never pleasant in the moment but in the end produces strong character and integrity.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

I hate having to make (force) myself to do something. Being lazy (living by accident) is so much easier but I don't want the life product that laziness and a lack of disciple produces. So I must persevere in my pursuit of self-discipline. This is also majorly true in the lives of the children that God has entrusted to me. I cannot even begin to explain how hard raising kids is and being consistent with what you say to them and consistent in their discipline. It is never fun disciplining my girls and so much easier to ignore their disobedience. But since I love them, I cannot neglect disciplining them. I want them to grow up and be amazing, productive lovers of Jesus Christ. This will never happen if I neglect discipline in their lives.

So I must pursue discipline in my life and in my kid's lives if I desire to attain any semblance of what God wants for me and for them.

And thanks be to a great and Holy God who loves me enough to discipline me as well. I praise Him that He is the perfect parent.

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Hebrews 12:5b-6