Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Exercise - It Does A Body Good

Before yesterday, I had not run since July 24th. I remedied that yesterday. I came back with a bang. Listening to a great Francis Chan sermon, I ran a slow 5 miles in 47:18. My knees hurt a little bit in the last half mile but I was not gonna let that get me down on such a great run. I figured it was just because I had taken so much time off.

Then today I hoped on my bicycle for a quick ride. I only rode for 43:38, but it felt great and when I got home, I told Becky that I hardly felt it (even in these West Virginia hills!).

Two straight days of good exercise have left my legs a little tired, but overall I feel really good and I should sleep well tonight. Exercise (running and biking) is really good for all the areas of my life. It helps reduce my stress and makes me feel better all over. That in turn makes me a better husband, father, and pastor. I just gotta keep it up, gotta be more intentional and consistent. I need to make sure I am the master of my circumstances and not vice versa.