Monday, March 2, 2009

Living Like Jesus

I posed the question yesterday in my sermon, "What would it really look like if we obeyed the Bible, if we really took it seriously and lived like Jesus did?" I think most of our lives would look VERY different. I am still struggling and wondering what that looks like for me and my family but I know that I want to live like Jesus did and like He wants me do. I am sick of trying to "serve two masters".

This morning as I was reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan (get it soon and read it!), I was in the chapter where Francis just tells stories of people who have or are presently living radically giving lives in the name and for the glory of Jesus Christ! The accounts are astounding and convicting! What keeps us from doing the same - from living totally sold-out for Jesus? My guess, because I know my own heart, is the pull of pleasure and stuff from this world has too strong of a hold on our lives. Oh to completely let go and live for Jesus!

With all the individuals who have gone before us and who are presently living lives of humility and persecution in the name of and for the glory of Jesus Christ, I am reminded of Hebrews 11:1-12:3 (check out the whole passage if you are not familiar with it).

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

This is the call to us! Many have gone before us and since we are surrounded by so many faithful believers, let us get rid of all the sin and other stuff that is holding us back and RUN to and for Jesus!