Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas is Coming!

Christmas is almost here! Can you believe it? It seems like just a short time ago that I was a small boy and about to burst with excitement as Christmas day approached. I could hardly wait for Santa Claus to display his wares on my living room floor. I can remember not being able to sleep on most Christmas Eve nights. The anticipation was almost more than I could stand.

Fast forward two decades and the excitement is just not there. Christmas is fun and this time of year certainly carries great times with family and friends, but the excitement over Christmas morning is not the same as when I was a boy.

As I reflect on this, I am quickly reminded of two parallels to my Christian life. 1) I should live with child-like wonder and excitement at the perspective of living this life with and for Jesus and 2) I should anticipate the coming of Jesus with the same thrill that I used to anticipate the coming of Santa Claus.

So often , I get consumed by life instead of being consumed by Jesus. Paying the bills, getting work done, filling the car with gas, etc. seems to take my focus off of the One who deserves my focus.

This Christmas, let's again be filled with excitement and eager anticipation, only this time, let's do it for the real reason for Christmas!