Tuesday, May 20, 2008

So Small

I have been thinking recently how incredibly small I am. When I recognize my own insignificance, I am driven to one of two conclusions. 1) I need to live for something bigger and more important than myself or 2) I will inevitably live completely for myself; driven by my own selfish pursuits. It seems to me that the majority of our culture is trapped in the second of these two lifestyles while a small few live beyond themselves for something bigger than them. They live for something that will stand the test of time or they give their lives to help others (things like politics, or medical research, or helping the poor, or even sports or other avenues of fame), but they still do not live for things that will exist beyond time itself. I have discovered that the smallest percentage of individuals actually take the hardest and most narrow road and actually live their lives for Jesus Christ. I am not talking about church or religion, I am talking about completely living lives FOR Jesus. This can only come when we truly recognize how small we are and how great He is and understand that He is calling us to lives of great purpose.

God has chosen the weak, small, and insignificant things of this world to confound the wise. I can truly be thankful to God for the fact that I am so small!