Thursday, September 25, 2008

Perseverance

"So do not throw away your confidence because it has great reward. For you need endurance in order to do God's will and receive what is promised." Hebrews 10:35-36

Becky wrote this scripture out the other day on a post-it note and hung it on our computer desk so that every time I sit down at the computer, I see it. I asked her why she did it and she just said that it was because she likes it. I think she had ulterior motives. I think she was trying to tell me something. It worked. This passage of scripture is so convicting where I am in my life right now. I will go run 5 miles like it is nothing but then so easily throw years of spiritual confidence away just because things aren't going the way that I want them to or because I can't fully understand God.

I am grateful that Becky hung this scripture passage up in front of my face for whatever reason. I must have read it 20 times in the past 2 days and every time, it is both convicting and encouraging.

I am thankful to God for where He has me right now in my circumstances, my ministry and in my life. I am going to hold on to the confidence that God has been building in me for years and eagerly await the promises to be fulfilled in this life or the next. And I will continue to pray and ask Him for guidance and direction in all the dark and confusing times that are out there in my future all the while holding on tight to the confidence that I have in Jesus Christ. I think that is what He is talking about here in Hebrews. It is called perseverance!