Monday, April 13, 2009

Future Grace

The things that God has been teaching me the past three weeks about a believer's position IN Christ and about the full impact of God's all encompassing grace has been truly life altering! I am deeply indebted to the teachings and writings of Miles Stanford (The Principle of Position) and John Piper (Future Grace) for all of their direction and wisdom on the idea of God's grace. I am so thankful to the Holy Spirit for using these men's writings at this stage in my life when I was ready to really see how the grace of God practically works in my life.

The idea that we are IN Christ and that we are to live obediently in response to His Word out of the future grace that He will give instead of living some life born out of gratitude for past grace according to some legalistic set of rules has been so freeing. To live for God based out of His promises instead of His requirements has been a major mind sift for me. It has not only been freeing but has also been more empowering than I ever thought. Living in light of the future and not the past and living according to who I am IN Christ has so much more implications for Holy living than striving to "be good".

If you want all the details and the practical application for what I am talking about, go to http://www.wvcrossroads.com and check out my sermon from Easter Sunday. By the grace of God, it is probably one of the most enlightening and best sermons that I have ever preached. I know that the content of my message has forever impacted me. If you want to go even deeper, I would strongly suggest that you read the two books that I listed above. It is amazing stuff! Just like the grace of our great God!