Saturday, February 9, 2008

Pressing On

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.
1 Corinthians 9:24-26


Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13-14

I ran 8 miles this afternoon in 1hour 10 minutes and 40 seconds with a final mile in 7:40. It was the longest run I have been on since I ran a half-marathon in April of 2004. I felt good for the accomplisment but a my knees were a little weak and my legs were a little bit wobbly. I am very tired tonight.

At one point around mile 6, I was at a very straight place in the rail trail and I could see a far distance in front of me and I thought of how tired my legs were and I thought of these two verses. I thought about how easy it would be to stop two miles short of my goal and still view six miles as an accomplishment and a good workout, but I would not have finished what I set out to do. Stopping would have been very easy to rationalize - maybe just walking for a little bit and getting a good rest before continuing on, but no, I wanted to press on and finish like I set out to and like I intended to from the beginning.

It is no wonder that the Apostle Paul used the example of running to describe our journey with Jesus. Walking with Jesus is not easy. It is sometimes very hard to go on. Sometimes it is hard to trust in what we can't see especially in the difficult times. Sometimes the lure of sin is so great and obedience to God is so hard. He never said it would be easy, He just promised to take every step with us.

Whatever you are going through right now, persevere! Stay strong! Even though your legs are wobbly, press on! Have faith! Be obedient! The goal is going to be excedeingly wonderful - far better than an 8 mile running accomplishment. This journey with Jesus is an endurance event. Persevere and finish well. Our great King will be waiting for you at the finish line.