Thursday, February 28, 2008

Exhilarating Misery

Today, I thought it would be a good idea to go for a bike ride since my knee has been bothering me so much recently. Sure it was 22 degrees and we had just gotten 5 inches of snow, but that would just make it more fun, right? Needless to say, I was cold!

I biked 9 miles on all paved rail-trail riding Becky's mountain bike. I was fine for the first 4 miles, but after that I was cold and hurting in the seat area if you know what I mean. I am in decent running shape, but I learned today that I am in poor bike shape. I have a lot of work to do get get up to speed on my bike. It makes sense though why my knees have been hurting when I think how weak my leg muscles must be. So now I have a new goal in addition to my running PR's; I must also get into bike shape and I think that will help my overall running goals as well.

Anyway, today when I got done with the 9 miles (I think I would have rather run it), I was so glad to see my van (I turned the heat on immediately because my feet were wet and so cold. They were like big ice cubes.). And you should have seen the bike when I was done. It was hilarious! There was ice everywhere and some of it was so thick that I could not break it or knock it off. All in all, it was a pretty miserable experience except for the fact that exercise is exhilarating in and off itself and also the fact that I just love to do absolutely crazy things like that. When I got home, I told Becky to never let me do that again and ten minutes later I was talking about doing it again the next time it snowed. Go figure!