Wednesday, July 2, 2008

WVU FCA

I was never into organized sports when I was in high school and so I was never really drawn to FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) when I was younger. Throughout the past 15 years of ministry, I have just watched and observed FCA from a distance and never got heavily involved.

I/we (Crossroads Church) have been praying for West Virgina University for two years now. We have been asking God to do such an awesome thing at the university that it (WVU) would forever be removed from the top party school list (for the past two years, WVU has been # 1 and and #2 on that list). I/We have also been frustrated because our roll in the evangelization of WVU has not been revealed. I/We have been wondering what we are supposed to do in order to see a spiritual awakening at WVU. I/We have not felt God leading us in any specific direction on the campus of WVU beyond our young people being a Godly, Christian presence to everyone they are around. It has been frustrating to want something so bad and have no direction beyond prayer.

I believe God is answering my/our prayers. Today, I went to a businessman's lunch and met the new offensive line coach for WVU. He spoke on finishing well in regards to our Christian faith and he shared a little bit of how he came to Jesus. He is a great guy, but more importantly, he is in love with Jesus. It encouraged me so much to know the incredible influence that he is having and will continue to have as a coach on the WVU football team. That in conjunction with new FCA director Shawn Frasher's direction and influence is an awesome thing. Shawn and I have recently been taking about all that God is up to through WVU FCA. There is not time or space to tell it all right here, but take my word for it, there are some great things going on and it seems to me that God is rumbling in preparation of doing something big at WVU through FCA.

This is exciting and I want to support Shawn and his team and FCA in general. I want God to do awesome things in Morgantown and at WVU. I am excited that He is using FCA. So I want to be involved with what God is doing and therefore want to support FCA. It is not about Crossroads Church. It is about the Kingdom of God expanding and about lives being changed for the glory of Jesus Christ.

Remember to pray for WVU FCA. Pray for Shawn and his staff (Josh and Courtney). Pray for the WVU coaches and athletes as Shawn, Josh and Courtney attempt to reach them for Jesus. Pray for the coaches and players who already know Jesus - that God would use them to begin a great movement of His Holy Spirit.

This just may be the answer to prayer that I/we have been looking for - the catalyst for a spiritual awakening on the campus of the #1 party school in the nation.

God, come and do a great work at WVU!