Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Revival without Judgement?

Is it possible for God to send a revival to America without first sending judgement? It is my selfish prayer that it is possible, but I am not sure that it is. Right now, I am praying fervently that God would do a great work in America! I am praying that He would send His Spirit down and revive His church and pour out Himself upon the lost.

Then today, as I am reading through Jeremiah, God showed how He almost always brings judgement before restoration and grace. In Jeremiah 16, God pronounces horrific judgment on Judah's rebellion and sin. It isn't until verse 14 that He begins talking about restoration and this only after judgement for the purposes of His holiness and so that the people may know that He and He alone is GOD.

As I pray for America, I wonder if we have slipped too far into the moral toilet of selfishness and sin to be revived and restored to the God who "put us on the map" without first experiencing judgement. This is a somewhat scary and sobering thought and I am not sure what to do with it in my own mind, but as I chew on it and look to the past revivals that God has brought forth, many, if not most, have come out of judgment (wars, political unrest, famine, plague, etc.) . Then I think maybe I stumbled onto something this morning and wonder what God has in store for a county that prints on its money "In God we trust" and at the same time kills babies and has as its biggest industry the proliferation of sex and nudity through paper, film, and internet?

God help us and allow Your Church to persevere in the midst of whatever you have in our future!! God send revival and great awakening to our nation and keep Your Church strong!!!