Friday, January 18, 2008

The Recipe for Renewal

"If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land" 2 Chronicles 7:14

I am sick of talking about how I want God to do something great and not seeing anything radically crazy happen. I know that it's not God's fault. It's mine!

Humble - other people matter more than me; my money and time are just tools to accomplish God's work; my opinions take a back seat to the needs of others; my comport and pleasure do not matter as much as personal holiness; I agree with God that my sin sucks; loving God first and others second.

Pray - hmmmmmmmm, what does this really look like? talking to God in the shower or in the car or for a few free minutes before I rush out the door or when I need something from Him. I don't think that is what God is talking about here in Chronicles. Where are the passionate (screaming and crying) and sincere prayers of the people of God calling out to Him just because we are doomed without Him? I know one thing for sure; we need to be on our knees way more than we are. We really need God, not more programs or ministry.

Turn from wicked ways - I'm not sure we as American Christians even know where to begin on this one. We have lived in the gray for so long, we are not sure where wickedness ends and holiness begins. O God search our hearts and know us and reveal any wickedness within us and help us move toward You more everyday!

If God is going to show up in radical crazy ways, we've got work to do. He will respond to our humility and prayer. He always has. It's not too late for America. It's not to late for Morgantown. We just need to get serious about the things that really matter in order to see a true spiritual renewal in our time!