Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pride Problem

I was in a weird place this morning. After hearing about and viewing some info about some other church plants and other church planters who have seemingly had an easier time than me and Crossroads, I was just a little bit off. I was questioning God as to why things weren't easier. I was wondering why some church plants start off with multiple staffs and why some who are the same age as Crossroads are already running 200 and why other church plants have so much money and people resources to use. I was just having a personal pity party. I know, I know, I was being stupid and sinful. The sin of pride is so deceitful and comes at us in so many different forms. Anyway, after I finally got into prayer and into the Word this morning, God spoke so clearly to me about how I was feeling. Check this out: "Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, and with patience." Ephesians 4:1-2a

That verse jumped off the page at me as God hammered me about my self pity party. He said, "Shane don't worry about other people's callings, just worry about your calling. You need to walk (attitude) in a manner worthy of the calling that I have called you to. Morgantown and Crossroads are what I have called you to. You need to work hard and wait on me. I'll give you exactly what you need and you can trust me with the results."

I got off my knees with a totally different attitude. It's not up to me! That is freedom. God has called me to obedience (there's that word again) and nothing else. I am responsible to responding to His leading in my life and ministry. Along with this comes trust as I believe that He has my best in mind. From there, my day just got better as I focused on all the amazing things that God has done in my life and in Crossroads over the past two years.

Oh God I am just a little man - let my pride fall down and use me!