Monday, March 24, 2008

The Love of a Father

Because of some strange circumstances, I needed to have Brannon with me at work on Friday. It was interesting to say the least. I had work to do at my office at the church building so I told her to play in the preschool room and only bother me if she really needed me.

She is a good kid and she played by herself for quite awhile, but she inevitably wanted to come see me so she came into my office because she just wanted to tell me what she was doing. She came into my office again a little bit later because she wanted some water and said she could not reach the sink. She came in again a little bit later when she wanted to show me the picture that she had colored.

I had quite a bit to get done but I realized that every time she walked around the corner and through my door into my office, that I was always filled with joy to see her. She never bothered me. She was never an interruption. She was just my little girl who wanted to see me or who needed me for something and what in the world is wrong with that?

This morning in my conversation with God, I felt like I was bothering Him when I was crying out about how much I need Him. I was in the middle of telling Him how badly I need Him in the midst of my crazy circumstances and I felt like that is all I must ever tell Him. I began to wonder if I ever get on God's nerves by telling Him how much I need Him. Then God lovingly reminded me of my day with Brannon last Friday. He told me that He loves me way more than I love my daughter. He said He loves it when I come to His office just to talk to Him or to show Him a picture that I colored. He said he loves it when I need help getting water from the sink. In short, He said He loves me so much more than I could ever imagine and He is overjoyed when I approach Him. He told me He died just so I could approach Him. He actually wants me to come to Him with EVERYTHING. I am not a bother or a interruption to the God of the whole universe. That is amazing!

I know how much I love Brannon and Anna. To think that God loves me way more than that just blows my mind. When you come face to face with that kind of love, it demands a response.